If you have chronic heartburn, regurgitation and sour taste in your mouth you may have Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) also known as acid reflux.
GERD is a condition where contents that belong in the stomach reflux up into the esophagus causing a variety of symptoms including heartburn. This reflux occurs due to a weakness in the barrier function of the muscle between the stomach and esophagus.
Some common symptoms of GERD include:
- Chronic dry cough especially at night and unexplained.
- Asthma. Refluxed acid can worsen asthma by irritating the airways and sometimes the medications to treat asthma can make GERD worse.
- Feeling like there’s a lump in your throat.
- Sudden increase of saliva.
- Bad breath
- Chest pain/discomfort. Seek immediate medical help (call 911) for any chest pain.
Some atypical symptoms include:
- Laryngitis-Chronic Cough-Hoarseness or Voice Disturbances
- Bronchitis and/or Asthma
- Recurrent Pneumonia
- Sleep Apnea
- Acid erosion of teeth
- Chest pain
- Abnormal heart rate or rhythm
Untreated overtime, GERD can cause serious complications including Barrett’s Esophagus and esophageal cancer.
According to AGA gastroenterologist, Dr. Barry Kaufman, "GERD affects tens of millions of sufferers. Most begin treatment with lifestyle and dietary changes, ormedication, but up to 30 percent of the population does not respond to available medications." Stretta Therapy may reduce or eliminate the need for medication.
Stretta therapy is a minimally invasive procedure that significantly reduces GERD symptoms, allowing the majority of patients to eliminate or largely decrease use of PPIs. Stretta is an outpatient procedure performed in less than 60 minutes, allowing patients to return to normal activities the following day. Stretta doesn’t require any incisions, stitches or implants.
The Stretta system delivers radiofrequency (RF), an energy waveform used in many medical specialties, to the muscle between the stomach and esophagus, which remodels and improves the muscle tissue, resulting in improved barrier function and fewer reflux events. Stretta treats the underlying problem that may cause GERD without surgery.
If you answer yes to any of the questions below, please speak to your doctor.
- Do you experience heartburn symptoms; that burning sensation rising in your chest two or more times a week?
- Do your heartburn symptoms get worse after eating?
- Do your heartburn symptoms wake you up at night?
- Have you missed work or had to reschedule plans due to your heartburn symptoms?
- Have you experienced frequent difficulty in swallowing?
- Do you frequently experience a feeling of something stuck in your throat?
- Are you suffering from coughing or wheezing without any other symptoms of cold or other respiratory issues?
- Do you routinely take over-the- counter drugs such as an antacid for your heartburn, only to have the heartburn reoccur?
For more information about Stretta, or to make an appointment at Atlantic Gastro call 609 407-1220.